eReader Borrowing Policy and Checkout Agreement
(Adopted 11/8/13, amended 5/19/14, 7/21/14, reviewed 11/17/14, 11/16/15, 11/21/16, 11/20/17)
All library patrons must abide by the following rules and loan policies in order to check out an eReader and continue to have eReader borrowing privileges:
• You must be 18 years of age or older, have a valid driver’s license or other photo ID, have a valid library card issued by the Delphi Public Library, and have an account in good standing (less than $5 in accrued or estimated overdue fines, with no overdue items).
• You must use your own library card to check out the eReader.
• You must handle the eReader with care as if it were your own property. Loss or damage that occurs when you or anyone else is using your assigned eReader will be your full responsibility. You must follow these standards of care for the eReader:
Keep it away from liquids. If it does get wet, turn the power off instantly and do not use until it dries completely.
Do not attempt to take apart, remove, or change in any way the physical structure. Doing so will void the warranty, and you will be responsible for replacement cost.
Treat the screen with special care, keeping in mind that screens are sensitive to damage from excessive pressure. Do not place objects on top of the screen. Clean it only with a soft, damp cloth. Do not use solvents or household cleaners.
Do not let the battery drain below 5 percent, as this reduces battery life.
Do not leave the eReader unattended in a public place.
Do not leave the eReader sitting in the sun or in a hot or freezing car. It is vulnerable to extreme changes in temperature and excessive humidity.
• You must return the eReader on time. Overdue fines of $5 per day will be assessed for each day an eReader is returned late. If a library-owned eReader is not returned within 30 days of the due date, it will be considered theft and referred to the proper law enforcement authorities.
• You must return the eReader with all cords and accessories that were given at checkout, with the eReader and all accessories in good condition. If an eReader or its accessories are returned damaged (other than normal wear and tear), you will be charged full replacement cost of damaged items.
• You must return the eReader directly to a staff member at the circulation desk. Know that it may take a few minutes to complete the check-in process. If you return an eReader in the book drop, you will be charged with any damage that results.
• eReaders may be borrowed from the main circulation desk for a two-week period.
• eReaders may not be renewed.
• Holds may be placed on the eReaders but they must be picked up within three days of notification that the eReader is available.
• A valid form of photo ID must be presented to the staff member at the time of checkout. A copy of this ID will be made and kept with the eReader loan agreement until the eReader is returned.